Skip to main content

Plant Science Major

Plant Science Major

AA Transfer

The College of Agricultural and Life Sciences has a tradition of working closely with community and state college students to ensure a smooth transfer to the University of Florida, and the Plant Science Major was crafter with Transfer Students in mind! As a transfer student, you will be welcomed into a community of plant enthusiasts who are eager to share their knowledge and experience with you and help you prepare for an exciting career.

Check out the CALS resources for transferring ( and page 32 of the Transfer Guide for details about requirements for joining the Plant Science Major. You can reach out to our Plant Science Academic Advisor, Jeanie Houk (, to discuss details and preparation. 

We look forward to growing with you!


Here are the five things you need to know to transfer to UF and earn a BS in Plant Science:

1. Have a G.P.A. of 2.0 Overall

2. Complete these prerequisites with a G.P.A. of 2.0 or better:

  • General Chemistry 1 and Lab
  • General Biology 1 and Lab, or Intro Botany 1
  • General Biology 2 and Lab, or Plant Diversity (Botany 2) and Lab
  • Macroeconomics
  • Precalculus: Algebra and Trigonometry*

3. Have 60 or more semester hours from:

  • A regionally accredited institution; or
  • An in-state public community college, with an AA degree; or
  • A Florida nonpublic postsecondary institution, with coursework listed in the Florida Statewide Course Numbering System

4. Apply to the program before the College of Agricultural and Life Science’s application deadline for your intended semester of admission. These dates can be found here - Transfer Dates & Deadlines - University of Florida (

5. Be prepared to jump right into campus activities and life, like joining the Environmental Horticulture Club, Agronomy Club, or Turfgrass Club. Compete in Team PLANET or become a mushroom hunter. Get research experience and attend/present at professional meetings. It’s up to you!

More Information

College of Agricultural and Life Science (CALS) Transfer Guide.  In this guide, you can find the requirements for transfer for all majors in CALS.  This guide also contains the contact information for all the personnel who can help you with any major in CALS you are interested in.  Please don’t hesitate to contact us — we are here to help!

If you are a transfer student from outside of Florida, please get in touch with the UF Admissions office for details on admission requirements.